Hacking the Xaar 128 printhead

Powder and inkjet printing
Philipp

Re: Hacking the Xaar 128 printhead

Post by Philipp »

Hi Guys,
Is there more experience with water?
The data sheets of XAAR are unfortunately contradictory.
Many Thanks
Philipp
davidk

Post by davidk »

What do you mean: contradictory? Can you be more specific? They say it works both with aqueous or solvent inks. Water would be an aqueous ink I guess.
EDIT: while I was preparing some dry new sponge-type transparent refiil cartridges, I filled one of them with distilled water and a small amount of ink and another with standard inkjet cleaning solution with small amount of ink. Using just water isn't a very good ideea because water is not fully wetting the sponges inside cartridges. I suppose same would happen inside the printhead too. Ink has some glycol-based additive for this reason.
manoj reddy

Post by manoj reddy »

hi .....my xaar printhead 128 is getting heated up slowly when i applied 35v power to it...before it is worked well now it is heating.......i want electronics ckt of this so that i can understand my problem..is there any service for this xaar print head pls tell me
davidk

Post by davidk »

Unfortunately the printhead electronics must be very sealed and waterproof to work properly. I think it's potted in resin and you can't open it. Working with TTL signals so close to 35V is very tricky. Maybe a ground went loose at some point and this burnt the interface, or maybe you still have a loose connection. From my experience with other chips, you should check the clock signal. Maybe (maybe!) not having clock oscillating makes the chip run hotter. Not having CLK means nothing works. Good luck!
manoj reddy

Post by manoj reddy »

thx for reply to my problem....with out any connection (that is interface) if i connect 35 volts to vpph and vppl again it start's heating......is it designed in such away it protect reverse current
manoj reddy

Post by manoj reddy »

xaar don't have a service ......and in xaar have a few test pins i am assuming that by using this pins they may be test the chip
davidk

Post by davidk »

Try to remove ground to any hybrid (5V and HV) chip and you ruin it instantly.
Anyway you shouldn't just apply power without ensuring all inputs are in a certain level - 0V or 5V. And you shouldn't try to fire a dry printhead also. Its protections are for ESD or transient spikes not for miswiring it.
manoj reddy

Post by manoj reddy »

i interfaced it to arduino mega ....previously it is worked well ....but now it is not...
davidk

Post by davidk »

Oh I see. Maybe you can find an outdoor or banner printing facility and ask nice if they have a printer with this head and try to test it. First you have to be sure your Xaar is good or faulty.
manoj reddy

Post by manoj reddy »

i would like to know electronics ckt details of xaar 128