Hacking the HP45

Powder and inkjet printing
mkasimyilmaz

Re: Hacking the HP45

Post by mkasimyilmaz »

Hello. I am grateful to your work for your dragonator. I apologize for the errors in my english.
Since the hp 45 printer heads are used in very old printers, it is very difficult to find a compatible printer. I found two 710c models. I plan to write the proper code by ordering and measuring the signals.
HP 650 printer heads are very popular in turkey. There are a large number of printers available. but I do not think I care for now because it is spongy. My main interest in this project is to print drinkable liquids. 5 Mechatronics engineer concentrated on this project with my friend. We gave up on the Inkshield project due to its low print quality.
I read all 440 messages. there are places I do not understand because of the translator.
Do you have a document on how to control which nozzle? which pin triggers which nozzle?
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Hello and welcome,

The best thing I have so far is here: http://ytec3d.com/hp45-inkjet-printhead/
It is not completely up to date, but nothing that dramatic has happened in the meantime. If you have any specific question feel free to ask and I will try to answer them as soon as possible.
ap1993

Post by ap1993 »

@dragonator, were your successful in firing all nozzles together with the new updated circuit board having 4x TLC59213 ICs? What are the shortcomings of the new design, if any?
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Still working on it. I got the head to print, but have yet to try printing patterns with it. I wanted to make the encoder work first, and for that I needed more framework that took longer than expected. I think it is better, but first I have to print complex patterns to confirm it.
ezrec

Post by ezrec »

From my BrubdleFab experiments, I discovered that encoders can suck if you try to use them in a PID loop for head positioning - but if you PID loop the encoder for motor _velocity_, and use the position encoder to trigger the specific ink pattern at the current position, it works great.

Saturation control was easier then, too: velocity was linear to saturation. (Slower = wetter)

You probably already know this, just bringing it up for the benefit of others.
ns167349

Post by ns167349 »

Hi, I celebrate your work. I have a few questions.
What is the maximum firing frequency? It is 18/20 khz for HP45 but 18 khz = 55.5 us. Dragonator said "An address needs an on time of about 10 microseconds." Addresses are 22 pins. 22*10us = 220us. (55.5us for 18 khz, 111us for 9khz.). What frequency was it controlled? Why are Tp-a, Ta-p Tprim about 2us? The time of address was about 10us. 5us logic 0, 5us logic 1 for firing. So, The frequency of mosfet( for any address) have 1/10=100khz.
is it true?
Good Luck.
BuddyButterfly

Post by BuddyButterfly »

davidk wrote:Hi,

I made it work, now I can print graphics with HP45. Here is a sample printed on glass and another on paper. However, the output is a bit faint, althoug all nozzles are firing. I tried with 2.0us primitive time @12.0V, I'm afraid to go further. Should I fire the same pattern more than once for deep black?
How much can I increaze nozzle firing time without burning the head?

Another thing, I'm working at a starting sequence for spitting the dried ink in the nozzles. I don't know yet if I should fire more aggressive in the priming sequence but I'll do more tests.

As used only the first 128 odd nozzles (from a single row) for software simplicity.

Ah, another thing: I purchased an old used HP1220c printer ($25) to get the printhead socket and capping.
Please see my other posts about the schematic used, don't ask me again about this without reading, please.
Hi, very interesting and very nice prints! Do you share your complete Kicad data or do you even sell the boards?
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

ns167349 wrote:Hi, I celebrate your work. I have a few questions.
What is the maximum firing frequency? It is 18/20 khz for HP45 but 18 khz = 55.5 us. Dragonator said "An address needs an on time of about 10 microseconds." Addresses are 22 pins. 22*10us = 220us. (55.5us for 18 khz, 111us for 9khz.). What frequency was it controlled? Why are Tp-a, Ta-p Tprim about 2us? The time of address was about 10us. 5us logic 0, 5us logic 1 for firing. So, The frequency of mosfet( for any address) have 1/10=100khz.
is it true?
Good Luck.
Theoretical max frequency should 12kHz (83.3us per burst, 3.8us per pulse) from the top of my head. Tp-a and Ta-p should be able to be less than 2us, as they should be for the max of 12kHz. 1.8us'ish is the absolute minimum for firing time. An address can be on for less than 10us. It only needs some time before and after the primitive going high to turn on and off properly. On the V2.01 controller I am using shift registers, requiring 6-8us alone to shift in new data. This significantly slows down what I can do. On top of that I never really got to full speed yet. The best I did was I think around 150us per burst.
davidk

Post by davidk »

Thanks, BuddyButterfly! It's not a kicad project, I made it with Orcad. I can't sell boards because I ordered only 5 pieces. Meanwhile I changed the project, I use Arduino due to control the firing chip. Atmega64 was way too slow, it looses so much time for bit swaping and arranging data for addresses/primitives.
Sean

Post by Sean »

datesheet wrote:
Sean wrote:
Philipp wrote:Happy New Year to all of you,
I tried to contact the chinese provider, which unfortunately failed. They did not understand my questions regarding the function of the components or the connections. Communication was near impossible. Therefore, I have removed from this solution.
It is easier to get in contact with HP resellers. With HP I have also contacted, but refer to your resellers, since HP thinks in larger decreases. The contact with HP and also to the resellers was very friendly and nice.
Best wishes
Philipp
Dear Philipp,
Happy New Year.
Which provider you have contacted, is cfconn? and what is your request, maybe I can help you to contact with Chinese provider.
Best Wishes
Sean
HI Sean,
I have been following up on this project,Can we communicate with each other?
Hi, datesheet,

It's long time I didn't access here, if you need any help?