Hacking the HP45

Powder and inkjet printing
dragonator
Site Admin

Re: Hacking the HP45

Post by dragonator »

Seems about right to me. The breadboard view I generally do not bother with. Schematics are also made in a different file. Only the PCB view is properly made.
datesheet

Post by datesheet »

Sean wrote:
Philipp wrote:Happy New Year to all of you,
I tried to contact the chinese provider, which unfortunately failed. They did not understand my questions regarding the function of the components or the connections. Communication was near impossible. Therefore, I have removed from this solution.
It is easier to get in contact with HP resellers. With HP I have also contacted, but refer to your resellers, since HP thinks in larger decreases. The contact with HP and also to the resellers was very friendly and nice.
Best wishes
Philipp
Dear Philipp,
Happy New Year.
Which provider you have contacted, is cfconn? and what is your request, maybe I can help you to contact with Chinese provider.
Best Wishes
Sean
HI Sean,
I have been following up on this project,Can we communicate with each other?
ethanleep

Post by ethanleep »

Hi dragonator,
Do you have any of the pogo pin breadout boards from earlier testing? I was going to start experimenting with the l6452 and dont have a way to breakout the pads on the HP45.

Thanks!
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

A small change of direction

Oasis is now in a more or less powder printing state. This is great (maybe I will share some more videos later), but I have also found a problem. The current hardware setup is both amazing for testing an a severe limiter. I cannot do proper measurements in the circuit (necessary to fix the only 5 primitives at once bug) and the controller is bulky an stuck in a massive printer. Also any upgrade is difficult to implement. Lastly I have been getting more and more requests for a complete controller. The HP45 V1.01 controller is not this controller. It requires a lot of support electronics. I want to have something that works everywhere without too much fuss.

To fix most of these problems I have decided to temporarily move some resources from Oasis (while I get powder printing to work properly) and move them to a more stand alone controller. For this you need to think 'HSAJet' (google it). The idea is a controller with a teensy (probably 3.5 due to some requirements I have) that can be controller directly from a computer, SPI, Serial or even completely stand alone using an SD card with external trigger and encoder pins. It will have a small screen (probably a 64x128 oled for smallness) with an interface to allow control and configuration. This controller will consist of several PCB's to do several functions like: Driving the HP45 printhead, regulating the voltage, controlling all circuits, testing the printhead and providing a user interface. Later I will also try to write a decent piece of software to allow control over the printhead functions through a computer.

To start this project I will start with some of the components. I will start work on a V2 carrier for the HP45 that will fit better than the current one. Also I have contacted CF conn (http://www.cfconn.com/product-show_14712/) for the pogo pin circuit. Once I have more information I will share it.

I have a broad direction I want this controller to go, but if anyone has suggestions now is the right time to voice them.

@ethanleep: Yes, I still have direct breakout circuits left. You can contact me through the contact form or I can email you directly for more information.
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

I have a price for the HP45 connector from CFconn. It doesn't look that good. This is not an in stock part. All units are made on order. A sample is around $30 per unit without shipping, with around 25 units being the limit. The lowest quote I got is 500 and only at those quantities the price seem interesting (around $5-6). Is there anyone out there who still wants this connector? I would be willing to get maybe 100 at that price, but not 500.
evomotors

Post by evomotors »

dragonator wrote:I have a price for the HP45 connector from CFconn. It doesn't look that good. This is not an in stock part. All units are made on order. A sample is around $30 per unit without shipping, with around 25 units being the limit. The lowest quote I got is 500 and only at those quantities the price seem interesting (around $5-6). Is there anyone out there who still wants this connector? I would be willing to get maybe 100 at that price, but not 500.
I'll get 10 max...
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Things are still moving. By sacrificing a bit of the price, I may get smaller quantities (like in the low 100's). $30 each is not really that unreasonable a price, but consider that I need to order 500 the first time I want to start selling something. I have little incentive to use that part if it requires a $3000 startup fee in connectors alone. If I can get 100 per order, I have incentive to use it.

I will let it know if I have an order ready. The quantity I have right now on offer might be worth the risk for me already.
daywalker2006

Post by daywalker2006 »

hi dragonator and other members
it is fascinating jobs you have done and thats very gentle of you sharing your works.
im intrested in hp 45 cartridge hacking and i need to build controller board but the tlc59213 is rare ic in my region even i cant find one in my country and nearby countries :) so have one quetion can i use UDN2981 instead of that?
or replace tlc59213 with another latch controller
please help me
thanks in advance
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Hello,

I have looked at the datasheet for a bit, and I have to say something between a maybe and a no. The current and sourcing driver will work. The lack of latch is annoying but not a disaster, the on and off times are probably too slow (like most darlington arrays). On is between 0.3us and 2us (on the limit) but off is between 2us and 10us (which is way too slow). The head needs a pulse shorter than 2us to work properly. For comparison. The TLC59213 does 250ns both times. Mouser should ship worldwide and has them.
daywalker2006

Post by daywalker2006 »

thanks for replay
mouser problem is for example parts cost 30$ but shipment and custom fee and bla bla bla is 200$ :lol: :lol:
so I will test it with udn2981
just please tell me clk and clr pin for tlc59213 are active in microcontroller programe or just passive as I figured out clr pin must always high for gates to be open in tlc59213