Hacking the Xaar 128 printhead

Powder and inkjet printing
Wonko

Re: Hacking the Xaar 128 printhead

Post by Wonko »

The pinout is the same for all XJ128 heads, no matter if 80 or 40 pl, wetting or non-wetting. There is no way to determine in software which head is installed.
Lori

Post by Lori »

Yes, you are right. I make confusing with Xaar 128 720T.
manoj reddy

Post by manoj reddy »

"nfire" signal can can be given independently wheather loading data or not...........if we load data and give firing more than one time wt happend?if it take previous loaded data for all fire or one time it will fire load data ...remaining times it just cleans the nozzles ........
moriarty

Post by moriarty »

Wonko

has there been any further progress hacking the 128 - or have you given up with the XAAR

have you got it going in your pwdr printer ?

M
Wonko

Post by Wonko »

Hi Moriarty. I did finish a related project with the Xaar head recently, but I am not in the position to publish the result. Sorry. All that was written here pretty much contains all the information needed to make the head work very easily. It's a fantastic head that is very easy to control, fast, and reliable. The piezzo technology makes it perfect for a huge range of chemistry.

Here is a little list of things that make life so easy with this head:

- it uses a standard serial port interface that allows multiple heads to be daisy-chained
- it needs only two constant power supplies
- it doesn't heat the ink
- connectors are easily available in small order sizes

So all that is required is a simple CPU a la Arduino and ten or so wires to control and run this head.

Disadvantage: 150 Euros per head.
moriarty

Post by moriarty »

Wonko wrote:Hi Moriarty. I did finish a related project with the Xaar head recently, .
thanks for the reply - a few Q's

+ were you able to achieve the quoted firing rates - 4/8kHz for 80/40pL units ?
+ are these achievable on Arduino UNO or do you need DUE ?
+ best price Ive seen is 186 euro (below) any other recommendations ?
http://www.digiprint-supplies.com/en/xa ... 128bt.html

M
Wonko

Post by Wonko »

Answers:

1. I have never tried to achieve the firing rates, simply because my transport is too slow. But a fast CPU, preferably suing hardware SPI, is needed
2. I recommend using the Teensy. They are much more powerful in every aspect.
3. Yes, that's where I order them. No complaints.

BTW: adapter boards make life so much easier. This one allows a standard flat ribbon connection to the Xaar head.
davidk

Post by davidk »

I started to play with an used xaar128. Can I run purified water instead of ink while I make some tests? I don't have capping yet and I just wish to make sure it is working and I can control it. Water won't make deposits and no cleaning cycles required, right?
Wonko

Post by Wonko »

Sure. Purified water should work. For a test print, get paper that changes color when it gets wet. The Xaar drops are pretty tiny, and you won't see water drops on regular paper. I tested my setup for hours because I thought it wasn't printing. In the end, I tried black ink, only to realize that I was printing correctly all the time, but I was too blind to see it... .
davidk

Post by davidk »

Thank you! I was thinking to print on a piece of glass!