Changing the forum?

Home Forums Site and Shop Changing the forum?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dragonator
    Keymaster

I was annoyed by it myself already, and now I heared the first other person mentioning it. This forum is not perfect, by far. The biggest issue is the lack of preview on replies. It also lacks a lot of features for my side of the site thing.

This is BBpress, I have looked far and wide, there is no plugin to fix the issue. I am asking the 3 people I know to reply here, what to do. Do we accept these problems, in the hope that this site doesn’t become any bigger, do I look into fixing this forum, do I get another forum plugin or do I get a whole new (non-wordpress) forum in place besides the main site (for as long as it is manageble to migrate the forum).

All input is appreciated,

-Yvo

ezrec
    Participant

I can live without previews for now – this WordPress site is very easy to use with my phone, and that outweights previews for now.

Bring up the issue with WordPress – they may be working on it and have it in the next major update.

dragonator
    Keymaster

Just for testing I got a plugin that may provide a preview function.

Lets see how this goes and if after a week there is no real problem with this, I keep it. Else it goes and I will keep my eyes open for something else.

ezrec
    Participant

<p>Blah blah link test Go to Google</p>

<p>testing inserting an image here:
    It's a picture</p>

1. Bullet list
    2. Should go here

<p>Looks good when tested from computer, testing from phone in a sec.</p>

<p>I like the dynamic preview so far <b>Woo!</b></p>

<p>Here's some code</p>

dragonator
    Keymaster

And the html paragraph and bold thingies, which show up for me. (<.p.> and <./.p.>) (remove the dots) and it is what I see. For bold, paragraph and other things it would be better to use the buttons, which add other things such as: Bold (* .* text * .) *Italic (*.text *)

Paragraph, 2 enters

So aside from the HTML that doesn’t really function, I do like this a lot better than nothing.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by dragonator.
    ezrec
    Participant

<p>Ok, I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get the <.p.>s to go away, and it turns out that the preview feature crashes my phone after about 5 minutes of typing stuff in.</p>

<p>Unless there are any objections, I would be fine with going back to the original non-preview mode.</p>

dragonator
    Keymaster

The plugin has been deactivated.

How your phone crashes is a complete mystery to me, the <.p.>‘s are easier to explain. The <.p.> (and sometimes <.b.>) is an HTML thing. The reason why it is there is because the plugin (markdown) makes the preview in HTML. For me this works fine, because my account has full rights. The problem for other users is when they try to post your reply, the site will block the HTML because your account doesn’t have the rights to use it. HTML is not safe for in comment systems. There are additional plugins that will give limited HTML functions to the forum, but I have to investigate this first.

The forum itself doesn’t use let users edit in HTML, but does offer some of the functions, so there is no additional step where the site blocks it.

ezrec
    Participant

Much appreciated – both the attempt to get preview working and the revert when it turned out to be worse than no preview at all.

I did some checking, and I think the crash of my phone was due to an object leak in the plugin – every character I typed leaked more and more memory until my phone just gave up.

Anyway, all good now, posting from my phone now, no problem at all!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.