The Turret

What is being worked on right now
dragonator
Site Admin

The Turret

Post by dragonator » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:13 pm

Why has it been so quiet here for the past month? I have hinted I was incredibly busy, and that was no exaggeration. I went to SHA2017 in Zeewolde, and I wanted to make something for it. I ended up wanting to make something way too difficult for the time I had, I only had slightly over a month to design and make this. I have worked all nights and all weekends to finish it on time, and even then I didn't actually finish it completely.

The title did already give away what I built, I built a turret from the game Portal. The scale really doesn't come across on any photo. It is 1.3m from the ground up. It can open, close, move the guns up, down, left and right. It has a laser in the eye that can also move with the guns. It has a camera with a raspberry pi to track people, sound in the front to make it sound like a turret. And best of all, it has 4 fully functional nerf guns to shoot with.
Turret pre-sha.jpg
Turret pre-sha.jpg (395.06 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
That was what it is going to do. At SHA we only had the movements and 4 poorly working nerf guns that constantly jammed. The raspberry pi side was still being worked on and was not finished on time. Still, it gathered quite a crowd at SHA.

The project is going to be finished for a few other events coming up, but for now enjoy a nice photo (there are no videos yet) of the turret in it's full unfinished glory. In the mean time, I will pick up some old projects again.

ajvinke

Re: The Turret

Post by ajvinke » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:05 pm

a late response but that looks Awesome.
It looks great and i believe you when you sway it cost a lot of time