The T60 power armor

What is being worked on right now
dragonator
Site Admin

Re: The T60 power armor

Post by dragonator »

I might do .4 or .6mm nozzles with .3mm or .4mm layer heights. I do not mind if a print lasts 40 hours in this case. The thicker layers I have, the more I need to post-process in the end, risking damage and adding weight (filler).

An Ultimaker Cartesian is actually quite similar to core-xy, with no motor weight on either axis. It has the added benefit of less belt flex than core-xy, and a 1 on 1 for each motor on each axis, no additional math required. For Z-movement I think a somewhat conventional lead screw and guidance will do. The weight is still less than 5kg for the bed. I will not do the floating bed like on an Ultimaker, with 1 leadscrew and guidance on only one side. With the print masses I might reach, that will be quite fragile. I plan on using 3 leadscrews to not induce any torque.
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

I said a few months ago that I would not resume the power armor project for a few more months. That was may, it is now august, and it is a few months later. Time to pick things up where I left.

The reason I stopped was that I a major concept change that needed some thought. I would go from a wooden frame with paneling to a fully 3D printed power armor. For this I need to find out 2 things.
1: Can the panels be 3D printed light enough;
2: Can I design a 3D printer big enough (where the answer is sure).

I still need to find out 1, but I have started on that. I am currently roughing out the form and scale for all the parts. This might take me a few more weeks of slow work, because it is difficult, but I will get there. Once I am happy with the shape, I will start to detail out the panels and make an estimate on 3D printing weight and time. After that I will work from the hand up to the chest, and then down to the legs.

Number 2 is also being worked on. It is a combination of an Ultimaker and a Leapfrog, borrowing the frame and X/Y gantry from the Ultimaker and the Z axis mechanism from leapfrog printers. The Ultimaker gantry is legendary for it's stiffness and lightness. It is a bowden with an odd construction that merges the X and Y into each other. There is no motor weight on the head, making it fast, but belt paths are short, making it rigid. It is a really nice system that I really like. The Leapfrog Z-axis is nice because it uses only 3 ballscrews, 2 on the side and 1 in the back. This gives a very rigid Z-axis with little mechanism. For my size, the rigidity is something I could really use. There are no further guides or anything, only 3 ballscrew supporting the Z-axis.

Both step 1 and 2 still require a lot of work, but I am working on it again. And now photo's
FoPa ND WIP 1.jpg
FoPa ND WIP 1.jpg (352.87 KiB) Viewed 28779 times
FoPa ND WIP 2.jpg
FoPa ND WIP 2.jpg (366.03 KiB) Viewed 28779 times
BP WIP 1.jpg
BP WIP 1.jpg (300.62 KiB) Viewed 28779 times
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Keen observers may have noticed that I have not added much to this site and to this forum for the past months. Short story long, I don't feel 100%. I am slowly starting to feel better, so lets hope that the trend continues.

I restarted work on things that are simple for me, and the simplest open project I had was the big printer planned for the power armor. As soon as I start the actual 'really this is going to be built for real' work on the big printer I will make a real page for it on this forum.

Currently I think I have some 10-20 hours left on the design. It is not the most complicated thing. All complicated parts like the extruder and the hotend are bought. Now this is all text, and not much new, so I do want to share one picture. The sheer scale of the big printer.
BP WIP 1.jpg
BP WIP 1.jpg (115.33 KiB) Viewed 28630 times
That is a FULL SIZED ULTIMAKER in there (I have the CAD for work on my own). You can print a full ultimaker in one piece with room to spare. I already have projects other than the power armor I would love to print on this, and I have people who are interested in using it, so it will probably be built.
evomotors

Post by evomotors »

@dragonator -What is the maximum print size will be?

I never owned anything than Delta type printers. In-fact I just finished build of my second full sized Kossel type printer with maximum of 300 mm diameter and 300 mm height print size. Third party 32 bit cortex controller board with touch screen, 0.9 degree motors, heated adjustable bed.

I think it's time for me to build large XYZ printer and compare the print quality with my delta.
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

It is currently estimated at 400x400x600mm. It is too soon for exact values. It will have an aluminium heated bed and it will have a somewhat enclosed build chamber. The nozzle will be an E3D with an option for using a volcano. The extruder will probably be an E3D titan. All other hardware is currently undetermined, but it will have a 32 bit controller and will be standalone printing from SD.

My only experience with delta 3D printers is complete and utter disaster. I spent 2 weeks calibrating and ended up building something else with the parts. This was when deltas were still very much experimental. I haven't found the courage to build one again yet.

I personally prefer XYZ printers, but deltas are faster.
strayferret

Post by strayferret »

Hello!
Just saw this project, and its pretty much just "wow". I noticed you put a deadline, and that it is very close to now :D Was a while since you updated so I just had to ask how is it going?
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Dead is a good word for it. Too many complications, too expensive and costing me too much time. The project only became more and more complicated and I reached a point where I cut it off and accepted the losses.
Theblastback

Post by Theblastback »

Have you ever considered making the power armor as a wearable piece of clothing, rather than a whole exosuit? I feel like that'd be significantly easier, as you can mount the plastic pieces directly on clothing.
~ Blastback
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

I have. It was just that the project did not appeal that much to me if it were just clothing. I am not that much into cosplay. I enjoy the making the mechanisms and an entire power armor just as a bare shell was not something I wanted to do. When I started I thought it would be easier (as is often the case) but this project only kept growing and growing far beyond even what I was used to. I did then consider redoing the project with the power armor only being a shell, but ultimately I had already wasted too much time and wanted resources back for other projects like the inkjet. I cut my losses and stopped the project.
Theblastback

Post by Theblastback »

Ah, understandable. Even if you go the design perfect, it'd still take 2 - 3 weeks to make and assemble the thing. Its a shame its not as simple as "bolt plastic onto metal medical brace" and be done with it.
~ Blastback