Hacking the HP45

Powder and inkjet printing
Sean

Re: Hacking the HP45

Post by Sean »

davidk wrote:Hi,

I made it work, now I can print graphics with HP45. Here is a sample printed on glass and another on paper. However, the output is a bit faint, althoug all nozzles are firing. I tried with 2.0us primitive time @12.0V, I'm afraid to go further. Should I fire the same pattern more than once for deep black?
How much can I increaze nozzle firing time without burning the head?

Another thing, I'm working at a starting sequence for spitting the dried ink in the nozzles. I don't know yet if I should fire more aggressive in the priming sequence but I'll do more tests.

As used only the first 128 odd nozzles (from a single row) for software simplicity.

Ah, another thing: I purchased an old used HP1220c printer ($25) to get the printhead socket and capping.
Please see my other posts about the schematic used, don't ask me again about this without reading, please.
hello, Davidk, it's very nice for your printing, if you use the matrix in patent to control the nozzle to print the words? I doubt the matrix is not correct in the patent.
davidk

Post by davidk »

Yes, the matrix I got from this site and the patent is correct. It's a bit messy I have to switch bits and this takes processing time.
Sean

Post by Sean »

davidk wrote:Yes, the matrix I got from this site and the patent is correct. It's a bit messy I have to switch bits and this takes processing time.
Thanks for your reply, I will check my hard ware if there is some problem.
alurpal

Post by alurpal »

I've spend the last week going through this thread. Very awesome stuff. dragonator, amazing work!

I'm having trouble finding information on x axis movement for inkjets. If I implemented the hacked hp45, is it reasonable to spray a column, then trigger x axis step(s), spray next column, repeat?

Thanks!
alurpal
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Hello Alurpal,

Simply stepping can only be done if you have exactly the right amount of distance per step. Else you will get a misshaped image. Also you need to consider that you have 2 columns per printhead.
alurpal

Post by alurpal »

dragonator wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:46 pm Hello Alurpal,

Simply stepping can only be done if you have exactly the right amount of distance per step. Else you will get a misshaped image. Also you need to consider that you have 2 columns per printhead.
Ok. I didn't conceptualize how the two columns were layed out until now. Good to know. Are you still selling breakout boards?
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Not at this moment. I do have a few experimental boards here, but I have nothing that is for sale. It will be a while before I pick up inkjet again. I have other big projects that I need to finish first.
julian-w

Post by julian-w »

Sean wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:34 am it's too complicated, I have bought like this, it's much easier than your supplier, and it's much cheaper, I can help you to purchase these if you want.
Where can I buy a printhead holder like this? I would realy love to work with the HP45, so this holder looks like a good starting point.
qq404041481

Post by qq404041481 »

Wow, this is literally the most complicated but detailed project i have seen, read all the posts. Don't know if dragonator you are still working on this or not. Few questions. you are not using L6452 for your design? is it a good option to try? what about the ST ASIC C8855M board? is there a way i can get document for it?
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

I am still working on it. Throughout the last year or two I had a few false starts, but I am still working on it. Just not on the forum right now. I am in the Hackaday prize with my (hopefully this time for real) attempt at making a 3DP printer with the HP45.

https://hackaday.io/project/86954-oasis-3dp