Hacking the HP45

Powder and inkjet printing
dragonator
Site Admin

Re: Hacking the HP45

Post by dragonator »

Is there actually anyone right now who is in the process of ordering or are there just 4 people who want some if someone else is ordering?

Anyway, I finally got around making something that I planned on making for 3 months now. An assembly guide to the HP45 controller. I am working on the controller for a while again, and have a lot of coding planned, but I wanted to at least finish the PCB part of the manual before I started. Good luck to anyone who still needs to assemble his. The template for the pins still requires some optimization, but for now this will do.

The mechanical side will still take some time. First I am going to do some more code and testing of the printhead.

Any feedback will be incorporated into the next version of the documentation.

http://ytec3d.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 170107.pdf
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Might as well finish the template instead of procrastinate and do it somewhere in 3 months.

http://ytec3d.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 170107.zip

The new templates are Poka yoke, which means that you can only properly use them one way. I had to look up in the source file which way around it needed to be when I was assembling one, and that wasn't working. It also now fits alongside the screws and it can be placed even when the pins are soldered. This means that I can use it as a pin protector for potential shipping.

There are versions from 0.8mm to 1.5mm. This is the size of the pogo pin holes. This way anyone can print a fitting version without having to worry about how a 3D printer butchers holes. For reference, I use 1.2mm, the pins are 0.8mm.

From left to right the are the iterations I went through.
DSC00474.JPG
DSC00474.JPG (405.09 KiB) Viewed 16878 times
dandumit

Post by dandumit »

Thank you for sharing those ! I will order the IC's and test pins and hopefully next weeks to make driving board.
By the way : if your 3D printer it's able to make those 0.8 mm holes than it's very nice !
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Hello Dragonator,
I am just stuck at put the system into operation. I'm still waiting for the production of an adapter board that connects the teensy to the controller board.
The orientation of the pogopins to the print head is very difficult.
I also designed a template for the pogo contacts.
However, I have provided it with a groove, into which the HP45 is inserted, the print head is always correctly aligned to the controller.

Best wishes
Philipp
zhenning

Post by zhenning »

Attached is redrawn schematic pdf. Hope someone find it useful.
3DOasis.zip
(64.44 KiB) Downloaded 781 times
parth2764

Post by parth2764 »

If i want to print barcode or qr code with this so how can be possible?
And i also want to print 4 lines with small character is it possible?
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

When I am a bit further with the code (I am currently working on it) It should be able to print Barcodes and QR codes. Characters is even easier, as it could already do something like it. How to implement both is a bit above me right now, but it might even be doable on the microcontroller level at least for barcode and characters.

However, I am not yet at this point. I am at this moment busy getting the HP45 to work properly with the teensy 3.6 in the Oasis controller. This is going quite well, but I still have to do most of the real inkjet stuff.
ethanleep

Post by ethanleep »

Hi guys I've been stalking this thread for a while and am glad to see your making awesome progress. I know your focusing on the HP45 right now but has anyone looked into the HP23 which is the color version of the HP45?

Thanks,
Ethan
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Not yet, but the HP23 is roughly wired the same to the HP45, only more fragile and with less width to print (96 nozzles per color if I am not mistaken). Once the HP45 is fully finished I might give it a go.
ethanleep

Post by ethanleep »

Cool, also have you tried using the L6452 at all after you got it soldered to the board or did you end up dropping it?