Hacking the HP45

Powder and inkjet printing
Mahsa

Re: Hacking the HP45

Post by Mahsa »

@dragonator

i could find a pack shift register that you can replace to the Primitive circuit. try the HV5630 or any others that the microchip suggested.
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

@David, I have to figure out maximum trigger speed using the shift registers based on how fast I can clock the data to it. The other limit is that right now I cannot fire all nozzles at the same time. I have tried to eliminate all possible problems on the new controller and hope that I then can. Right now I can manage around 2kHz with 3 firing cycles per address.

@Masha, With Pack shift register, do you mean driver and shift register in one? The register you suggested is sinking and only 100mA. Also the switching speed needs to be really high for it to work and you will need a way to reliably make the pins high and low within a few hundred nanoseconds. The TLC was one of the few components that met all requirements. I am willing to switch, but any components needs to have at the very least the same properties.
Mahsa

Post by Mahsa »

@dragonator
the microchip application note discusses about printer.
Attachments
AN-H20.rar
(339.92 KiB) Downloaded 750 times
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

I can see that the notes speak of printing, but they specifically mention only Piezo and Static (I never really knew static was a serious printing technique), not thermal inkjet (bubblejet). Both require very different properties than bubblejet printheads (very high voltages, low currents and relatively slow). It is still really neat to see those components, but I have not yet seen an IC that can actually drive a bubblejet printhead like the HP45. You will need 400mA per pin, 12V push with a switch time both ways of at the very max 500ns.

After doing some basic layout, I have come to the conclusion that if I want single sided components, that I cannot go much smaller than 100x80mm. I might be able to get 100x75, but that is it. while this is fairly big (and a lot bigger than the 90x40mm that my current controller is), it is not unworkable. That is this concept. I will see if double sided components is something I might want to do. It does make the routing an order of magnitude more difficult and complicates any automated assembly. However, it will to my current estimate reduce the board size to around 90x60. Food for thought.
HP45 Standalone V2.01 WIP1F.png
HP45 Standalone V2.01 WIP1F.png (87.25 KiB) Viewed 12626 times
HP45 Standalone V2.01 WIP1B.png
HP45 Standalone V2.01 WIP1B.png (34.36 KiB) Viewed 12626 times
Restani

Post by Restani »

Hi Dragonator,

I would like to set up this project to learn about this cartridge and a little programming. I've already assembled one using the C6602 cartridge. Can I use your project for this learning? Do you sell the plates? Thank you very much!
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Hello Restani,

At this point I do not have very much for sale. I am working on it right now, but I have yet to finish anything. The best I can help you with right now is a breakout board. How much experience do you have with programming and electronics.

New controller news. I have tried double sided components and it is actually not that bad. Size is 60x100mm right now, but I have opted to just remove the variable voltage and 12V regulator and feed the board with 12V directly. I will make it possible to connect and alternative power source to the printhead. This will greatly reduce complexity and cost at the expense of potential printhead temperature and lifetime. I will do some voltage experiments myself, but until now 12V has worked just fine. This will also reduce the printhead controller size, but I have to do some more design work to see just how much.
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

I removed the voltage regulators and made the board 12V only. This reduced the size to 56x90mm. I have most of it routed. I think I like this board enough to try it. I first need to do some final touch ups and checks before I can order a batch, but this looks like it might just work.
HP45 Standalone V2.01 WIP2F.png
HP45 Standalone V2.01 WIP2F.png (110.81 KiB) Viewed 12555 times
HP45 Standalone V2.01 WIP2B.png
HP45 Standalone V2.01 WIP2B.png (85.06 KiB) Viewed 12555 times
Restani

Post by Restani »

Hi Dragonator!
Hi everyone!
I thought about putting the version 1.01 that it showed in the forum.
My knowledge in electronics and programming is quite reasonable.
I made some impressions using the C6602 but I did not take the project forward because I thought of something more interesting.
I'm also doing a project with the XAAR 128.
mahjam

Post by mahjam »

Hi Dragonator
I want to use model hp 2580 Solvent Print Cartridge for print on PVC by version 1 controller if I use this cartridge Will it be burn?
(Voltaje firing for it is 8.7 V)
Attachments
HP2580.jpg
HP2580.jpg (109.03 KiB) Viewed 12539 times
BlueTurtle

Post by BlueTurtle »

Restani wrote:Hi Dragonator!
Hi everyone!
I thought about putting the version 1.01 that it showed in the forum.
My knowledge in electronics and programming is quite reasonable.
I made some impressions using the C6602 but I did not take the project forward because I thought of something more interesting.
I'm also doing a project with the XAAR 128.
Hey Restani, if you have a working schematic to drive the XAAR 128 can you please share it? I would be really happy! Thanks and have a nice day everyone.