Hacking the Xaar 128 printhead

Powder and inkjet printing
aengel

Re: Hacking the Xaar 128 printhead

Post by aengel »

Here are examples of circuit boards to drive the Xaar 128 head. Sometimes there are USB variants for these types of circuit boards. I have been unable to find stock cables to connect these circuit boards together. And I have been unable to find the PrintMon shareware to drive the Xaar. The sales agencies distributing these circuit boards in China seem unable to answer my questions.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Attachments
113.jpg
113.jpg (288.78 KiB) Viewed 14934 times
112.jpg
112.jpg (301.68 KiB) Viewed 14934 times
111.jpg
111.jpg (279.35 KiB) Viewed 14934 times
davidk

Post by davidk »

I wonder what's the minimum setup to drive a single head from the computer. No other sensors, valves or motors.
Restani

Post by Restani »

Hello Wonko,
Thank you! My XAAR is not damaged because I have how to test in another circuit and it works normally! I am using the same ink as the other equipment I have to study. I may be experiencing problems with SPI communication
aengel

Post by aengel »

davidk wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:14 am I wonder what's the minimum setup to drive a single head from the computer. No other sensors, valves or motors.
I am working on that now. I started a new thread, "Hacking an Inkjet..." here at Ytec3D. I hope to have a minimum setup for the Seiko 510 printhead posted there in about 2 weeks. We may also work on a minimum setup for the Xaar 128. However, the Arduino setup described in this thread seems to surpass anything made offshore in cost and simplicity.
aengel

Post by aengel »

Here is an insightful 150 page thesis describing the implementation of a Xaar 128 printhead system.

"Development of an Inkjet Printing System on a Flatbed Router" by Dayna Chan.

The full text of this thesis is available to the public from the internet servers at the University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

https://uwspace.uwaterloo.ca/bitstream/ ... sequence=1
aengel

Post by aengel »

Regarding uv curing inkjet compositions for 3d printing with the Xaar 128, Johannes Karl Fink provides some starting formulations. I believe that these are suitable for near-vis curing, 385nm - up. I have tried similar formulations and they work. Some of these formulations have viscosities below 30 cPs at room temperature, which should be suitable for the Xaar.

Excerpts of his book can be found on books.google.com

The Chemistry of Printing Inks and Their Electronics and Medical Applications

Here is the link to Google Books :

https://books.google.com/books?id=3mvIB ... on&f=false
davidk

Post by davidk »

I wonder if, whwn using a solvent ink, I can leave the printhead nozzleplate soaked into solvent when not used for several days or weks. If it's designed to work with solvent it shouldn't be an issue. This is to avoid purging too often and drying and clogging.when unused.
Count

Post by Count »

Ivan1983 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:57 am As I understand it, you ask how to connect Arduino and Xaar128. I did so. The board produced by the technology of using a laser printer . File attached, you can open in the program Sprint layout.
Ivan great work. Could you help me with sharing schematic or wiring diagram for the same. I went through the file which you shared , it has PCB artwork. I understood that pins 2,3,4 of arduino goes to the relay module but where do I connect other pins. I see you have taken out extension for some of analog pins on arduino as well does they meant to be connected anywhere. It would be more helpful if you could share schematic or wiring diagram explaining which pin of arduino goes where
aengel

Post by aengel »

Wonko wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:54 pm

I know the board that you are talking about. Yes, it is a great shortcut, but at the same time, it is again a piece of proprietary technology that makes writing driver software harder.

Lastly, I have seen the UV curing with LEDs happen, but I cant remember the ink that was used. I know that you need ink that is specified as LED curable, and that you need LEDs that send the correct UV frequency. All inks I saw have the required UV frequency range documented. Curing LEDs are available in 3 frequencies IIRC, or even with a mixed spectrum, but then you require more LEDs.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Simon Signs and Wonko!

Can you indicate the pci-card item number from B. in China? Or another Alibaba vendor? I have tried to buy a pci-card or usb card for the Xaar 128, and have not had luck with the Alibaba vendors I have contacted. Also I am having problems finding a working copy of PrintMon for the Xaar 128.

Alibaba lists many card distributors :

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/printer-pci-card.html

Also Wonko I have formulated with uv resins, and I have not had any problems with a formulation comprised of Irgacure 819, ITX, TMPTA, and the diluent. I routinely use near-vis uv led wafers and old school uv 365nm lamps.

If anyone wants more low viscosity uv resin formulations, please ask here and I will post more formulations. Nazdar here in KC is pretty reasonable selling off the shelf uv formulations, that work. They also have extensive customer technical support.
davidk

Post by davidk »

Does the head type -wetting or non wetting matter in ink selection? Why are there two types anyway?