Hacking the Xaar 128 printhead

Powder and inkjet printing
Wonko

Re: Hacking the Xaar 128 printhead

Post by Wonko »

1: you get a tank that can hold the ink and is vented, then you add a hose that runs to the Xaar input port. Position the tanke a few cm above the head to prime it, then lower the tank with the ink level a few cm below the head. It will pump the ink up when running correctly. Make sure you use Xaar compatible ink. Water does NOT work.

2: the Xaar does not know what an image is. It's a row of 128 ink nozzles that fire at you command. It's completely up to you to feed the data to the head pixel by pixel, move the head, and make it fire at the right time.
abbasrohanipoor

Post by abbasrohanipoor »

George B. wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:53 am
abbasrohanipoor wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:21 am hello every body
Fortunately I can run my inkjet 3d printer and to be honest xaar printer heads are very interesting ones.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... QEIJzAAUAE
and hope best wishes for other.
Hi, abbasrohanipoor!
Unfortunately google photos link is 404 error.
Tell me pleas what kind of code of image the xaar128 is print? I have some code for arduino with static image code like 0b11111111 and 0b00000000. I'm understand that it's a nozzle command or somethink like that. But i don't understand what kind of information to printhead is comming with that code. Can you explain me?
HI George B.
when you try to run Xaar128, you have to send 128 digital signal to it's buffer. every 0b$$$$$$$$ (byte) is composed of 8 digital signals (bits), so you must send 16 bytes to print every line of the image you need to print. and $ may be 0 or 1 according to the image.
and this is artificial hand.
Braden

Post by Braden »

Hey guys,

I am using Kyles code but had some questions/wanted to verify some things before I plugged in my print head and possibly fried it. When I use Kyles code as is, the order of power on/down sequencing of the supplies is as follows:

Power on
1) Vdd turns on then off
2) VPPH/VPPL turn on

Power off
1)VPPH/VPPL turn off
2) Vdd turns on and stays on

I did not think this was the correct order of sequencing since the data sheet shows this timing diagram, but I have not seen anyone else mention having to change this in the program so was wondering if I was missing something?
Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 10.52.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 10.52.02 AM.png (138.8 KiB) Viewed 17472 times
I can post videos of my relays switching if need be.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 10.52.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 10.52.02 AM.png (138.8 KiB) Viewed 17472 times
Wonko

Post by Wonko »

Just make sure the code does exactly what the drawing says:

Keep RESET low, the apply 5V, then apply the high voltage, then set REST to high. Make sure you use at least the time given in the diagram between these cycles. Also, remember that mechanical relays have a long delay from being pulled until the actually switch on, and add that delay to the code.

I would highly recommend to get rid of the relay and use a MOSFET or other digital switch instead. Relays are so 80's, no 70's.

Also, make sure that the time between switching on the CPU until it actually runs any code is not undefined. That could send random power bursts on all those channels. The trick is to add an external (!) pulldow or pullup resistor to the output that switches power and RESET.

If you are super careful, in case the CPU crashes and leaves the power state undefined, add a hardware logic that reacts to power outages by pulling REST low immediatly, and adding the delays to the power lines as described.
aengel

Post by aengel »

Here is another schematic that I did.
schematic.jpg
schematic.jpg (122.26 KiB) Viewed 17290 times
aengel

Post by aengel »

There are additional printheads manufactured by X, F.D., R., maybe T, which can dispense higher viscosity fluids, compared to this 128 head.

Some of the ceramic printing heads can dispense 50cps fluids at R.T. This may make them suitable for 3D printing, since there are uv led curing acrylates that have viscosities much lower than 50 cps.

I would like to pay someone to modify this current code for this 128 head for one of the larger heads.

I would like to pay someone to develop a schematic to guide us in the development of the printer electronics, likely based on Arduino or Raspberrry P. I have electronics folks locally who can make the code and hardware feasible.

Please advise if you have interest in arranging to have the code written, obtaining specs for the larger inkjet head, and arranging to have the schematic drawn.

Thanks, Allen. KC MO USA.
Wonko

Post by Wonko »

I suggest something more fun: publish what you know about those heads here for everyone to read, and I will see what I can do to make schematics and code, which will likely be improved by others on this list, giving you the best starting point possible: peer reviewed code.
aengel

Post by aengel »

Hi Wonko :

Thanks for the great advice and the feedback. I agree with your suggestions and would like to do so.

The problem is that I do not have the pinouts for these larger heads. Do you or anyone in this forum have the functional pinouts?

I have already posted much of the data that I have about the heads to this forum.

I guess the optimum choice for 3D printing are the heads which are designed to jet ceramic inks. As far as I know, only X. and F.D. and Sei. make ceramic ink heads. I have heard that R. and K.M. heads might be able to do so also. And I assume that the heads made by Tri. in the USA are suitable also.

Thanks again Wonko. Really enjoy your thoughtful and informative posts here at the forum. Allen.
3dprinter

Post by 3dprinter »

Wonko wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:30 pm Water does NOT work.
Pure water or water in general? Is it possible e.g. to mix destilled water with IPA and some binder material?
Sealdogfish

Post by Sealdogfish »

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a new controller board for the Xaar 128 and want to check if anyone would be interested in buying one or more. Price will vary based on quantity but should be around $60 USD per board with the current design.

It can control 4x Xaar 128 print heads, 2x pololu driver boards, 1x UV led array (or other 12v device attached to the print head assembly), 2x endstops.

It has shutdown protection on power loss, isolated 35v power supply, usb connection for control.
I am using the Atmega32u4 and using multi/demultiplexing for fault signal, cs, endstops.

To keep the board cost down it uses two AC-DC adapters, 35v and 12v. Although I may consider using a single supply if there is enough interest, the price will be higher though.

I will include the controller board, 4 ribbon cables and 4 Xaar128 adapters.

I will be using the print heads for UV ink printing, there is official black UV cured ink from Xaar although I haven't found any colour UV ink available yet.

My background is in high performance embedded camera design, programming and manufacturing. I work full time so this is a weekend project but I expect the boards to be completed within about 6 weeks, the schematic is mostly complete although I'm open to suggestions for changes if there are other features of interest.

Register your interest now so I can determine how many boards to order!
They will be tested thoroughly before I take any actual orders.