color 3dp slicer software

Powder and inkjet printing
david

color 3dp slicer software

Post by david »

Hi,

I'm wondering what software could be used for slicing colorful 3D model and produce something like RGB PNG file for a full color 3D printing?

Regards,

David
david

Re: color 3dp slicer software

Post by david »

I guess probably no one knows the answer. I did some search recently. But unfortunately nothing useful turned up. The closest project I could find is called ColorPod. However, I can't get hold of its slicer software. It looks like the color slicer needs more DIY work.

So far I can think of two possible ways,

a) build a plug-in for the Blender, so that a color 3D model can be sliced and saved as a bunch of color PNG files, similar to the SLA sliced files these days;
b) modify a 3D slicer, such as cura or slic3r, to support color file.

I'm running an external funded 3DP printer project. The time schedule is to produce a prototype by this summer. Which means there will be a working affordable 3DP printer. Although currently the platform is designed to support a few kind of printheads, XAAR, HP45, EPSON, etc, I still prefer to use the EPSON printhead for a full color printing as the beginning. The build volume of this 3DP is 250mm wide by 150mm long by 180mm deep.
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

I know of none first hand. I know that Wonko has something that is a step in the right direction.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49&start=30

I was considering using that for Oasis, but am still running a piece of prototype code that only does black and white so far.
Wonko

Post by Wonko »

I wrote a slicer that can do just that. It is by no means finished, and the current version has the texture stuff disabled because I was trying to control a mixing FDM printer first, and then finish the texture stuff. If you are really interested and have a printer that would work with this, I can see if I find some time to make the slicer work as needed.

https://github.com/MatthiasWM/IotaSlicer/releases
david

Post by david »

Wonko wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:02 pm I wrote a slicer that can do just that. It is by no means finished, and the current version has the texture stuff disabled because I was trying to control a mixing FDM printer first, and then finish the texture stuff. If you are really interested and have a printer that would work with this, I can see if I find some time to make the slicer work as needed.

https://github.com/MatthiasWM/IotaSlicer/releases
That looks really cool. I'll try to get the machine up running first, then we'll see what we can do with it.