Hacking the HP45

Powder and inkjet printing
jnesselr

Re: Hacking the HP45

Post by jnesselr »

I mean posting stuff is totally fine, it's just that you have to think if what you're posting is going to be useful to the discussion or not. Without any context on the post, it's definitely not useful.
barragan

Post by barragan »

I wonder if anyone in the forum is interested in partnering.
I want to make an inkjet printer to put expiration date and code on the products (food, cosmetics, boxes etc ...)
Using the dragonator project,
I'm making my own ink for cartridges 45
I know how to make water based paints for porous and solvent based surfaces (plastics, glass, pvc, etc ... with quick drying)
for use on 45 or 45si cartridge
Anyone interested gives me a hello.
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

I cannot provide any real support other than giving you what I already have, but the current Oasis controller should be able to do most of it. You will need a way to convert text to print, and if you don't have an encoder, you will need virtual speed. The hardware is there though.

I do warn though, I will currently not actively develop anything for others. You will need to do most of the work yourself.
barragan

Post by barragan »

you had already commented to me that you can not change your Oasis controller
  Because it meets your project.
Can you give a hint, how would be virtual speed ??? or not
  I posted here in the forum to know if anyone is interested ???
You already know I already built the Oasis controller (prototype)
Thank you
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

I do not have time to change it. That does not mean it cannot be changed.

If you want to mark a product, you will need to know where it is. Currently, my controller needs an encoder, but in principle, you could just tell it that it needs to print at say 50mm/s, and then tell it to start printing.

How do you want to print text on things. Do you place the products in a printer which then prints it, or do you want something handheld?
mojtaba

Post by mojtaba »

dragonator wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:56 am Hello,

I myself have little experience with identifying printheads. I do know there are subtle differences between several variations of printhead, one of them the HP45, and expect that there is something in the background that allows you to identify heads. I however have no facts on this.

What problems do you get when you try to print with anything other than HSA heads. Have you confirmed that it works with an original head?

It only works with its own cartridges while not working with the original hp cartridges and I have changed the voltage and pulse width settings as well.
There is also no chip on the cartridge
mojtaba

Post by mojtaba »

barragan wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:46 pm The cartridge you are using from HSA has Smart Chip or Not ???
referent Voltage and firing
Each ink type uses a Different Voltage e Fire pulse.
Example:
Water based : Voltage 11.5 Fire Pulse 2.2 Solvent Base : Voltage 8.7 Fire Pulse 2.0
If you place the solvent-based cartridge with Water-based setting you burn the cartridge.

Water-based cartridge with the Solvent-based setting will not burn the cartridge, ink will not even come out because the voltage is low.
There is also no chip on the cartridge
mojtaba

Post by mojtaba »

dragonator wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:56 am Hello,

I myself have little experience with identifying printheads. I do know there are subtle differences between several variations of printhead, one of them the HP45, and expect that there is something in the background that allows you to identify heads. I however have no facts on this.

What problems do you get when you try to print with anything other than HSA heads. Have you confirmed that it works with an original head?
Has no memory - all 52 pins are healthy
It only works with its own cartridges, not even a drop...
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

I have not been working as much as I wanted on the Oasis project. Now that the turret is done, it was planned that I was going to work on HP45 related work. However, responsibilities and other smaller projects took the majority of the time. I have done some work again.

I have made a controller that works using DMA. It was tested, but not much else. I now modified Oasis so it can take this newer printhead. The newer controller is not bigger, but the Teensy is still removable. This takes up space I did not have.
IMG_20191205_200700.jpg
IMG_20191205_200700.jpg (451.13 KiB) Viewed 13625 times
IMG_20191205_200629.jpg
IMG_20191205_200629.jpg (302.01 KiB) Viewed 13625 times
IMG_20191205_200648.jpg
IMG_20191205_200648.jpg (339.89 KiB) Viewed 13625 times
IMG_20191205_200639.jpg
IMG_20191205_200639.jpg (319.26 KiB) Viewed 13625 times
It already printed, so the thing I was most interested in was speed. How fast can it go before it breaks. The old Oasis controller was something like 3000mm/min (50mm/s) of max speed. I do tell this from memory, but I did test beyond the 3000 and stopped really quickly.

To explain what you are seeing here: The second image is the sheet I printed on. The images without a number you can ignore, this is test of the past few days fixing some small issues. The next image is me, rushing from 3000, to 4500, to 6000 without any appreciable issue. The last image is me hitting 7500mm/min, and it suddenly stopping. I then backed of to 6500, then 7000, again without issue. This means that my reasonable speed limit is currently 7000mm/min, or around 115mm/s. Not too bad.

Now as to why. The head suddenly stops. It does not progressively get worse, it just stops. I suspect one of the updates cannot work fast enough. As soon as it is outpaced, it cannot catch up. The 2 suspects are the buffer update, which handles what line to print where, or the printing update, which handles when to fire the nozzles. Given the mangled nature of the image, I suspect the buffer update is messing up. I will start digging in the code to find what is messing up.

@mojitaba: I forgot how to do it, but there are things you can measure in the printhead more than just the nozzles. If you measure reverse polarity, you get a resistance across the nozzle, primitive to ground (or address to ground). I also think it changed when I changed address, but this is all very old for me. It might show up in an old post, it might not. Maybe it identifies the head this way.
myying

Post by myying »

inkjet wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:53 pm Q2321A/Q2320A HP Versatile Black, 11.2, 2250, 40, 29 water based
IQ648 40x35 ORIGINAL, 8.7, 1600, 40, 35 solvent base
Hi inkjet
I like to be sure of data (11.2, 2250, 40, 29) for K pen you shared.
Is 11.2 trim voltage (or primitive voltage)?
Is 2250 fire pulse duration 2.25 micro-second?
Is 40 warming-up setpoint temperature of pen?
What is value 29 meaning? Could you share?
Last edited by myying on Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.