New project powder 3D printer ZEUS

Powder and inkjet printing
MAsic12345

New project powder 3D printer ZEUS

Post by MAsic12345 »

Hello everyone, after HP 84/85 dwas hacked, can begin to design and create a printer.
decided to give him a name ZEUS
The theme created to improve the design of the printer by the experience of other people who are miscalculated in this area.
and in order not to repeat the same mistakes when constructing printer
also comments and your new ideas will also be very valuable.
MAsic12345

Re: New project powder 3D printer ZEUS

Post by MAsic12345 »

I chose printing technology with a vacuum pump and funnel here is an example
Attachments
3dprint_04.png
3dprint_04.png (183.97 KiB) Viewed 50054 times
MAsic12345

Post by MAsic12345 »

here I tried to simulate something like that

Zeus print sizes 300/300/300
stainless steel sheet walls
aluminum shaft mount
powder vacuum chamber
the yellow thing is thecotton seal so that the powder does not leak

maybe I missed something or can this be done easier? tell me

1.png
1.png (284.39 KiB) Viewed 50053 times
0.png
0.png (237.9 KiB) Viewed 50053 times
2.png
2.png (251.01 KiB) Viewed 50053 times
3.png
3.png (281.59 KiB) Viewed 50053 times
4.png
4.png (263.13 KiB) Viewed 50053 times
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Your design looks very solid. Do you have the manufacturing capabilities right there to make the metal parts?

The basics of you hopper looks great. Do try to make something that is easy to clean. While a piston should not leak much, it will leak a little, and printers can gather enormous amounts of powder in these inaccessible places.

Do you already have a powder recipe or a goal? 300mm cubed is a massive volume to fill and not really the size that allows for experimenting with powders.

On the topic of your powder feed mechanism. Powders like gypsum will not just fall down. If you have a funnel shaped bin, the powder will jam and you will need assistance to get the powder to move. Try some small scale experiments before you commit to a final design. It is a design that has many benefits, so if you can get it to work it will certainly be worth it.
MAsic12345

Post by MAsic12345 »

No production opportunities. I will try to order or look for an alternative.
I think creating more holes in the plate will reduce piston clogging. but I'm not sure.
No recipe yet, and haven’t experimented yet with powder

I thought for a long time about powder in the funnel
wanted to use a hedgehog to loosen the powder at the bottom
эржиковый вал.png
эржиковый вал.png (23.48 KiB) Viewed 50018 times
Then I came across a funnel of one of the printers
I think I will do so
культиватор.png
культиватор.png (262.44 KiB) Viewed 50018 times
культиватор — копия.png
культиватор — копия.png (242.76 KiB) Viewed 50018 times
but I also found out that
that the piston must vibrate so that the powder is well sucked in
don’t I know whether to set the vibration or not?
it seems to me that the vibration is created by a stepper motor
what do you think?
1213124.png
1213124.png (247.13 KiB) Viewed 50018 times
I found it on this link
https://www.slideshare.net/JohnLee237/p ... -amug-2016
maxt

Post by maxt »

Hi Masic,

saw your posts few days ago but didn't have time to comment any sooner.

You may want to think again about the desired printing volume. You plan 30x30x30 cm. That makes 27 Liters, filling it with gypsum powder will make 67 Kilograms (roughly 2.5 Kg per Liter) !! That's too much weight.

How are you going to keep up 67 Kilos ? You'll need massive piston base and extra powerful motors. Even the dispenser on top will be very difficult to build sturdy enough...

Moreover, you'll basically never need all that printing space. Unless you print a 30x30x30 cube, any other shape will have at least one dimension, if not two, shorter than 30cm, but the piston will need to be filled with 30x30xheight of powder even if you print a very small part.

You should definetly reduce two of the dimensions to less than 30. Since the print time is proportional to the print hight, the height (depth) of the volume should be the shorter dimension. Let's say that it is 20cm (like in the Projet 660) if you print somthing wich is 21cm tall, you just turn it 90 degrees and it will fit on the horizontal plane. The print will take much much less time.

Note that should I print something 20cm tall (and more than 20 in X and Y axes) the Projet 660, which is decently fast, would take 21 hours to complete the job (just checked)... therefore simply nobody does it, it would be too risky (power outages, heads burns, run out of ink etc any of these would make you scrap everything that has been printed and waste maybe 15 hours of machine time)

If you make a volume like 30x20x15 that's only 9 Liters and 22Kg. Much easier to make and not very penalising with respect to what you can reasonably print.
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

I can second this.

Since plan B, my printer have gotten smaller volumes, not bigger. Especially if you do not have a working powder recipe you want to print with, you want small machines. I am literally designing a 20x50mm printer so I can test powders. Plan B is currently 80mm round and is big enough for 80%. I can upgrade it to 200x200, which is big enough for 99%.

I'd also try to make your machine as simple as possible. All of the automatic feeding is great, but big projects that have this many unknowns die easily. I can say this from experience. Try making a machine as simple and as barebones as possible first, and then when the basic kinks are worked out, try something bigger and more advanced like this.
MAsic12345

Post by MAsic12345 »

Hi MaxT
hmm, I did not think about it, although it is logical, I did not do this before.
yes i will resize I think maybe 300x200x200
I’ll make the piston a little bit with a margin; no need to completely fill the piston when it is not needed
the piston base that I designed calmly can withstand 67 kg

Hi dragonator
What difficulties may arise when choosing a powder or powder recipe?
How powder composition can affect printer design?
I don’t want to make a mini printer, because I want to use the plotter carriage, with which I hacked the HP 84
and the carriage is big there I'll post a photo to view

At this stage i think how to increase print speed
Do you think it's worth making two portals?
this way you can reduce print time
one for rolling powder and one for printing
while the print portal prints the rental portal can be loaded with powder at the same time

and also the question is how best to make 4 strip rail? separately 2 rails for the portal of printing and 2 rails for the portal of rolling powder?
or only 2 rails? put two portals there and come up with a mechanism,which will be detached from the print portal to fill with powder
Attachments
Безымянный.png
Безымянный.png (322.35 KiB) Viewed 49947 times
maxt

Post by maxt »

MAsic12345 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:34 pm Hi MaxT
hmm, I did not think about it, although it is logical, I did not do this before.
yes i will resize I think maybe 300x200x200
I’ll make the piston a little bit with a margin; no need to completely fill the piston when it is not needed
Hi Masic,

that's 12 Liters / 30 Kilos, much more reasonable.

Unfortunately there is no way to avoid filling the piston up to the level of the printed part height. The whole 300x200 will always be filled even if you print only a small part 2cm x 5cm positioned in a corner. If you leave some margin, it will add up to the filled volume.

Please keep us posted with the progresses :)
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Powder composition would not change printer design (much). The bigger issue is that how well your printer prints REALLY depends on your powder and binder. There are a few people who have done work, and you can hope that it will work instantly, but most likely you will need to tweak the powder or binder recipe before it starts working well.

Like MaxT said, every millimeter of height you want to print needs to be filled completely. If you want to test powders, you will need at least 1cm of powder. This means that for you to test your powder, you will need at least 1.5kg of powder. If you already had experience with powders, I would not have mentioned it, but you have not printed in powder before and will most likely need to experiment with recipes a bit. For this a 200x300 printbed is very big.

You can of course buy powders, but be aware that these can be ludicrously expensive per kilo, and you will need 1.5kg for every centimeter you want to fill. You can reuse with small parts, but you will need to have the powder ready.