Hacking the Xaar 128 printhead

Powder and inkjet printing
BlueTurtle

Re: Hacking the Xaar 128 printhead

Post by BlueTurtle »

Okay sounds good. I’ve read your posts and as far as I understand you are using a vacuum pump and seal the head against it to vacuum the ink. I was thinking about using something similar.
Dretzz

Post by Dretzz »

Hello everyone, just a simples quention about the Xaar 128: I need two separate 36v power supply, or if i had one power supply with two outputs with 36v, can i use just one?
Wonko

Post by Wonko »

I used a single supply with a single output, but decoupled them. One supply should be as stable as possible at 36V, but does not need much power at all. The other one needs more amps, but is allowed to fluctuate more.

Separating is easy: split the 36V at the supply, run each supply through a diode first, then put a large capacitor and a few smaller ones between each line and GND. If line 2 needs a lot of power, the capacitors protect the supply, and the diodes decouple 1 and 2.

In a powersupply with two outputs, they may do just that inside. You can check that with a multimeter. If 36V.A and B have close to 0 Ohm between them, they are simply two connectors on the same supply. If they have 100kOhm or more, they are decoupled.
davidk

Post by davidk »

I may advise to use a supply with adjustable output. My setup works best at 26...28V. If I raise the voltage I have too much satellite drops. Best voltage depends of ink viscosity. Yes, single supply with common ground. In fact all supplies (5V, 24V and 26...35V) have common ground. For high head voltage I use a dc/dc booster.

I use the same head from february with very good results!
Dretzz

Post by Dretzz »

Wonko wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:20 am I used a single supply with a single output, but decoupled them. One supply should be as stable as possible at 36V, but does not need much power at all. The other one needs more amps, but is allowed to fluctuate more.
And how much current would be the supplies? Should be sufficient one 1A and other 5A ?
davidk

Post by davidk »

I have a booster from 24V to 25...35V 3A max. But the head draws a very small current. Max 5W I suppose.
Braden

Post by Braden »

Hi everyone,

I am having some issues and was wondering if anyone else has run into something similar. If I let my Xaar setup sit for a while then come back to start working on it again, I can't get it to print. Then if I change some of the Arduino pin definitions it will start working again. Specifically I have had this happen with the READY pin and the nRESET pin on two different occasions. After switching to a new pin it starts printing again and then I can move it back to the old pin and still have it work. Any thoughts? I am wondering if its a problem on the Arduino side of things or the print head because READY is an input into the Arduino from the print head and nREADY is an output from the Arduino to the print head.. I want to move off the breadboard on to something more permanent but if I keep having to re define my pins every time I let it sit for too long then I'm stuck on the breadboard.
BlueTurtle

Post by BlueTurtle »

davidk wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:33 am Hi,

This is my setup. You can see the damper above the head, the capping station I built (with a silicone band gasket and peristaltic pump), the reservoir and of course a print sample. The sample print is 8 times overprint microweaved. My head has a full blocked nozzle and many nozzles are deflecting badly.
I have a brand new head but didn't install yet.

Priming was donme very easy, with the head pressed by capping gasket. Pump was sucking ink for about 10...15s in two times. After this I wiped manually with a tissue and it's ready for use.
Hey David, would you mind telling where did you find the fittings for that little reservoir and what they are called? I bought a couple of those but couldn’t get them to fill up with ink so I’m sure I’m doing something wrong.
BlueTurtle

Post by BlueTurtle »

Hello Everyone,
I've made a board with LED driver, 3 stepper Drivers (TMC2130), on board voltage regulator 28-36V for the Xaar as well as other drive circuitry required for the Xaar Printhead that uses Teensy 4.0 as the brains. There are SPI lines broken out for for further expansion as well as 4 digital outputs and 1 digital inputs (5V tolerant). The printer also has 5V USB output to power a RPi. The board has 2 blade fuses that can be changed with what ever you are comfortable with. Currently they are 10A for overall 24V in input and 3A for 5V RPi output. If you are interested in purchasing one lmk. The price is 500$ shipped.

Specs: 24V IN (At least 7A) (Reverse power protection)
Teensy 4.0 Controller
Interchangable AutoBlade fuse for 24V IN and 5V MicroUSB Out (Max 5A Recommended)
On Board Step-Up 24V to 28-36V adjustable with software (DigiPot)
Up to 10V - (700ma currently, up to 2A (adjustable with resistor)) LED driver for UV Ink projects
3x TMC2130 Drivers. Direction is given through SPI. No endstops assigned, I use StallGuard feature as endstops in my system
SPI line broken out
3 24V outputs for ink, air, solenoid pump controlled by Mosfets (With flyback Diodes, resistors and capacitors integrated)
3 digital Inputs (that you can use for whatever). Currently marked by E.Stop (Emergency Stop), Ink Sensor and D.Limit (Door safety function). (These can be used for end stops if you don't want to use StallGuard.
1- 5V Output
4-24V outputs for Fans, Lights, Etc...
1- MicroUSB output (5V-5A max recommended --> Need to change to Fuse if you want to use higher than 3A)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 3.49.32 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 3.49.32 PM.jpg (74.59 KiB) Viewed 37967 times
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 3.55.32 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 3.55.32 PM.jpg (78.79 KiB) Viewed 37967 times
evomotors

Post by evomotors »

What is new in this board that haven’t been discussed before in this forum? How would one use this board?