Layer skipping of Plan B printing

For any Plan B specific topics
Ben8781

Layer skipping of Plan B printing

Post by Ben8781 »

I am currently testing my printer with the model I am having now, it contains 35 layers as shown in the attachment below in Slicer. The printer could print in both Gcode and PlanB code, but PlanB code uses significantly less time since it utilizes all nozzles.

Gcode problem:
The Gcode that I sliced is legit as I simulate it online and the printer reads it as 35 layers when printing. However, the printer stops printing when the 6th layer is reached and displays that the printing is done.

PlanB problem:
The PlanB code is converted directly from the Gcode using the PlanB converter. However, the printer only reads it as 6 layers when printing and it prints only half of the object. (I didn't screw the cartridge properly so it was shaky when printing, but it is actually a rectangle)

Below attached the comparison of PlanB and Gcode printing. The PlanB code only prints half of the object and about 6/35 of the desired layer thickness. The same goes for the thickness of the Gcode, but it at least prints the whole object out. Is it the firmware that makes the layer skip or the hardware problem? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you and have a great day. I also attach the Gcode and PlanB code as well in the zipped file.
Attachments
PlanB and Gcode.zip
(11.17 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
print result.jpg
print result.jpg (108.46 KiB) Viewed 11252 times
model.PNG
model.PNG (369.14 KiB) Viewed 11252 times
dragonator
Site Admin

Re: Layer skipping of Plan B printing

Post by dragonator »

Hello,

I read both your files. Gcode was fairly clean and did contain the correct number of layers. Why it only prints 6 is a bit of a mystery. The PlanB code is a bit of a mess. It only starts at 5mm, so the first 30 layers are missing on that side of the code. Also it toggles the same nozzle a dozen times in the same line of code. Something is quite wrong here. I have been meaning to make a better way to generate the PlanB code, but have yet to do it. The Oasis software needs a tweak so it can also output PlanB code. It is not days of work, but I do need a few free hours for that. You can try to fix the current converter, but it was never that stable, and it seems you did most correct here.
Ben8781

Re: Layer skipping of Plan B printing

Post by Ben8781 »

Thank you very much for your reply! For now, I will try to use Gcode for printing since PlanB converter modification is out of my league (I am not a good programmer). I have found that the printer is actually printing the right amount of layers for Gcode, just that the LCD is showing the wrong amount of layers, which does not affect the printing quality.

Another side question here, may I configure or know how many millimeters the printer will print before the spreader rolls in and the build axis go down? The model I showed above is 6mm thick and has no infill with 35 layers. The z-axis goes down 4 times and the spreader rolls for 2 cycles.

Thank you so much for sharing this project, it is great. I will start to try printing using granulated sugar + meringue powder and alcohol suggested by people in this forum.