Hacking the Xaar 128 printhead

Powder and inkjet printing
Wonko

Re: Hacking the Xaar 128 printhead

Post by Wonko »

Angefrank wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:19 am It's possible for you to post the electric diagram of the setup? I'm interesting to try the xaar128.
No problem: https://github.com/MatthiasWM/Xaar128
spooky

Post by spooky »

Hello,

I have a specific interest for the Xaar 128 but for a total alien application: I contemplate using it for biotech application as a way for micro-dispensing of specific agents on cell cultures. However, the medium that I need to spray is mainly made out of water (+many different things including salts).
I read in previous posts some of you indicating that the Xaar may fail with water.
Does anyone here experienced with water?

Thanks!
Wonko

Post by Wonko »

Yes. Water will destroy your head. I don't know how ink is different, but it seems to have to do with conductivity. Maybe Epson heads can do that?
least_force

Post by least_force »

Most home / cheap inkjet print heads are thermal based and have small heaters for each nozzle that vaporise the fluid to eject a drop. These heads handle aqueous better due to their architecture.

For piezo heads you have different manufacturing methods, one of these methods leaves exposed piezo material that can short out if you use a conductive fluid. For more expensive heads this is coated in a protective film but this is a tricky process to get right.