Hacking the HP45

Powder and inkjet printing
jnesselr

Re: Hacking the HP45

Post by jnesselr »

evomotors wrote:HP45 is hollow and does not have sponge.
That's very interesting. How did you find that out, by cutting one open? I'm still curious how you change the ink out and clean it.
evomotors

Post by evomotors »

Please read the first post.
evomotors

Post by evomotors »

@dragonator -I found refillable HP45 with continues ink system http://wanniansheng.en.made-in-china.co ... 5-15-.html. This would be perfect solution for any application as it does not need to be cleaned from black ink.
Karmamarquis

Post by Karmamarquis »

There ought to be an option within software to eject the ink from a proprietary cartridge and prepare it for action with a continuous binder solution. Before each print, run the head across a sponge in a reservoir of clean water (to remove any dried ink that obstructs the jets). Is this what you're referring to? For me at least, CMYK isn't the appeal of this system, though I'm sure it's achievable.
When the heads fail, that's that; replace them.

@Dragonator, thanks for actualizing an idea I've had in my head for over a year. Props to your education and taking initiative on such a project; I'll follow you 'till we reach an oasis.
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

That was quite a bit of posts in a night.

The HP45 is only in black. There are heads in more colors, but they aren't hacked yet. The HP23 is the same as the 45 in hardware, but only has around 96 nozzles for each of the 3 colors. The HP23 is also supposed to be more fragile than the 45. The plotter at my hackerspace has one cartridge for each color if I am not mistaken. It is also the same series as the HP45 is.

HP45 is hollow and has a spring to keep a vacuum (printheads need vacuum to prevent leaking). There is a hole in the front where a ball is pressed in. Here it was filled. You can drill a small hole in the front and drain the head, refill it and use a screw (and perhaps an O-ring) to seal the head. You do need to use a clamp on sideways to put some pressure on the spring, so that the spring will do it's job after the head is filled. The spring is mounted sideways in the head. There is a teardown of a HP45 somewhere on the internet. If I can find it I will link it.

Another way to drain the head is in a centrifuge. I have been told that this works quite good. Place the HP45 in a centrifuge, nozzles facing outward and the ink should drain from it.

The CISS head is really interesting. I knew the HP45 CISS heads existed, but until now I haven't had that much reason to buy one. I still have the HP 642A CISS system in here. It was never used. I will see if I can buy one or two when I have progressed a little further.
Jurif

Post by Jurif »

The ciss for the cartridge can be made at home. I have calculated that the pressure in hp45 (if i have measured everything corectly) that the spring makes is equal to about 3cm of liquid. By taking using this it is really easy to make a ciss just by drilling a hole about 3cm above the nozzles and another hole above. First hole should be connected to a reservoir, and second hole to a pump which pumps ink from the reservoir.
Attachments
cissDiagram.png
cissDiagram.png (10.39 KiB) Viewed 20166 times
evomotors

Post by evomotors »

@dragonator -I just got response about empty HP45 and I like the answer. The CISS/Cis Refillable HP45 Transparent Body Inkjet Cartridge (HP45) is only $9 USD each + shipping. And there is no minimum order!

@Jurif -I don't thing there are any point in emptying, cleaning and refiling the factory HP45 if the empty refillable one is that cheap.

I will be ordering several of them to test later today.
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

@Jurif -Printheads usually need a vacuum to operate. 3cm positive pressure might give too much pressure and make the head leak. Ciss systems usually require you to put the tanks below the level of the printhead to create the vacuum. A well built ciss system requires no pump.

@evomotors -Is shipping to the Netherlands form your place more expensive than the shipping from China? If not I would also be interested in a few. Else I will order a few myself in a couple of days.
evomotors

Post by evomotors »

@dragonator -send me the address and I'll check it out.

Just did checked the shipping cost to Netherlands generic address
Weight up to 8 oz (226 grams) = $13.50 And then anything heavier than 8 oz (226 gram) and up to 2 lb (907.185) = $22.50

I don't know the shipping cost from china to Netherlands but this is the responds I got from them:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi

the empty refillable hp45 is 9usd/pcs
how many pcs you want ?

the freight to send 0.5kg (7pcs is within0.5kg) by dhl is 20usd ,to send 1kg( 14pcs) is 24usd.

by china post to send 0.5kg is 8usd within 12~15days arrive . can tracking on interent.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So DHL is faster but more expensive - $20 to ship 7 and $24 to ship 10
China Post is cheaper - $8 to ship 7.
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

If that is the difference I will order for myself. I think neither of us will save anything if we combine the orders.