Hacking the HP45

Powder and inkjet printing
mtok_wwa

Re: Hacking the HP45

Post by mtok_wwa »

Bit out of topic but maybe helpful for some of you. If you plan to use td62783apg or similar chip for building driver be aware that parameters for it are different than those mentioned by @dragonator.
I think its related to long on-off times of this IC (I am not 100% sure since I don't have real oscilloscope - only this toyish DSO with one channel).
Anyway by trial and error i figured out that voltage for primitive should be no higher than 9V and turn on time should be 1us.
I use 8us gap between providing gate voltage and firing primitive.
Price for these findings were one fried print head and another one with few broken nozzles.
I found out also that:
- you can tell that you're providing to much energy to the nozzle (too high voltage or on time) when nozzle starts to smudge
- to less energy on other hand results non continues ejections - if you try to print a line it has gaps
- fried print head's 10xResistor has no longer 300-something ohms - in my case it was 800

Any recommendations for chip that may also work and is more robust? In my case I want to drive 2-4 nozzles so i need like 5 output lines max. Also bonus points for DIP package availability.
abdurrahman

Post by abdurrahman »

Hello,
when i test nozzles , at the middle of 2 side there is no ink. İ replaced cardridge but same result.
any idea about what is the problem which i control first.
Attachments
a34999b6-2576-4a4c-9025-47b59fff65ba.jpg
a34999b6-2576-4a4c-9025-47b59fff65ba.jpg (82.73 KiB) Viewed 72744 times
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

abdurrahman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:24 am Hello,
when i test nozzles , at the middle of 2 side there is no ink. İ replaced cardridge but same result.
The pattern of nozzles you are missing indicate that a full primitive on each side has either failed, or is not connected to the printhead. Each primitive handles a 22 nozzle continuous block on a single side
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

mtok_wwa wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:06 pm Any recommendations for chip that may also work and is more robust? In my case I want to drive 2-4 nozzles so i need like 5 output lines max. Also bonus points for DIP package availability.
Thanks for the information. This is incredibly valuable knowledge. Sad to hear it cost 2 printheads.

I have had luck that I found the TLC59213 very quickly during my testing. I have not tried many chips. The TLC59213 is available in DIP and does work. Else you might try a P-channel mosfet with a mosfet driver chip to reach the speed.
myying

Post by myying »

mtok_wwa wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:06 pm Bit out of topic but maybe helpful for some of you. If you plan to use td62783apg or similar chip for building driver be aware that parameters for it are different than those mentioned by @dragonator.
I think its related to long on-off times of this IC (I am not 100% sure since I don't have real oscilloscope - only this toyish DSO with one channel).
Anyway by trial and error i figured out that voltage for primitive should be no higher than 9V and turn on time should be 1us.
I use 8us gap between providing gate voltage and firing primitive.
Price for these findings were one fried print head and another one with few broken nozzles.
I found out also that:
- you can tell that you're providing to much energy to the nozzle (too high voltage or on time) when nozzle starts to smudge
- to less energy on other hand results non continues ejections - if you try to print a line it has gaps
- fried print head's 10xResistor has no longer 300-something ohms - in my case it was 800

Any recommendations for chip that may also work and is more robust? In my case I want to drive 2-4 nozzles so i need like 5 output lines max. Also bonus points for DIP package availability.
“Anyway by trial and error i figured out that voltage for primitive should be no higher than 9V and turn on time should be 1us. “
==> it’s not over broken condition using 9Volt/1us.

“- you can tell that you're providing to much energy to the nozzle (too high voltage or on time) when nozzle starts to smudge”
“- to less energy on other hand results non continues ejections - if you try to print a line it has gaps”
==> The fire duration and supplied voltage are “not” both fixed data for HP printhead
==> HP has a named TTOE(thermal turn on energy) calibration technology which lists in US5418558、 US5428376、US5428376…and so on.
==> Would you be interested in the detail thermal jet, searching “film boiling” and “Leidenfrost point”.

“I use 8us gap between providing gate voltage and firing primitive.”
==> there is HP45 12KHz printhead.

“Price for these findings were one fried print head and another one with few broken nozzles.”
==> Could you show the method to find broken nozzles? generally ,there is checking the current through heater.
(a attached picture)
==> According the described, there is not over heating condition, maybe power supply circuit issue?

“- fried print head's 10xResistor has no longer 300-something ohms - in my case it was 800“
==> though there is not R10x fixed, shifting by temperature, 800 Ohm is to higher over spec. maybe happened at the hardware.
Attachments
圖片1.png
圖片1.png (6.56 KiB) Viewed 72694 times
abdurrahman

Post by abdurrahman »

dragonator wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:21 pm
abdurrahman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:24 am Hello,
The pattern of nozzles you are missing indicate that a full primitive on each side has either failed, or is not connected to the printhead. Each primitive handles a 22 nozzle continuous block on a single side
please , can you share arduino code that only one nozzle printheat one by one with pushbutton from 1 to 300 nozzle?
mtok_wwa

Post by mtok_wwa »

Fried nozzle prinhead consumes a lot of current. I guess it's due to broken gate of MOSFet. In my case i observed like 200mA current consumed.
abdurrahman

Post by abdurrahman »

pleasse somebody help..
version 1.0.1 during the test, 3.3 logic pin and 12 volt is shorted and teensy 3.2 was burned. i want to learn that what kind of problems done to standalone version 1.01 controller card. tlc59213,4017 or 4081 or others.
SZMT

Post by SZMT »

Hello Dragonator

I have a project for custom printer with HP45 printhead,
I want to start with C8855 manuel, is it possible to share the C8855 manuel?

Thanks!
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Sent via mail