Hacking the HP45

Powder and inkjet printing
math

Re: Hacking the HP45

Post by math »

Hi Dragonator,

I found this IC that seems more suitable to power the primitive lines:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1904729.pdf

Is from Allegro and is said discontinued but is largely available (in aliexpress, for sure)
rofl

Post by rofl »

Yvo, glad you started working on controller v4. Really looking forward.

Perhaps you remember me, we talked via email regarding encoder tape I had, which was of wrong resolution and thus head was not printing. I finally managed to get correct encoder tape and I though I will move discussion here as it is more general question now and would be beneficial to others.

When I changed that encoder tape, printing now happens, but I am not sure if I missed something, but I noticed that sometimes when sweep is made, it is not completed entirely, i.e. if we have, let's say, filled circle, and we divide it into three swipes, two of them might be done properly, but one, can be finished like half-way. I assume this has to do something with settings and/or limitations. Could you explain this? I attached image as a sample.
Attachments
circle.png
circle.png (2.96 KiB) Viewed 23595 times
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

I have put the UDN2987 on my list of considerations. It has a latch, can handle the voltages and does seem to be (barely) fast enough. The discontinued status and max 1000ns response time do worry me a bit though. Once I am certain that the TLC59213 is indeed the bottleneck I will see if this chip is indeed a working solution.

@rofl
You are using Oasis controller software to drive you system? Can you look at buffer write left or read left before you start moving? You can try lowering the resolution to see if that helps. Can you show what is being sent to the printhead? This allows me to see if the right data was at least sent.
math

Post by math »

As I said, although it is discontinued, Digikey has 8k in stock (and there are many other suppliers). And typical time of response on/off is 100 ns. And it supplies 350 ma in all 8 outputs in a 30% dutty cycle. Supposing a dutty cycle of 8 us ( address on, 3 us, primitive on/off 2 us, address off 3us) we have a dutty cycle of 25% on primitives. Seem to me that this can resolve your problem with tlc59213.
BlueTurtle

Post by BlueTurtle »

dragonator wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:46 pm I have put the UDN2987 on my list of considerations. It has a latch, can handle the voltages and does seem to be (barely) fast enough. The discontinued status and max 1000ns response time do worry me a bit though. Once I am certain that the TLC59213 is indeed the bottleneck I will see if this chip is indeed a working solution.

@rofl
You are using Oasis controller software to drive you system? Can you look at buffer write left or read left before you start moving? You can try lowering the resolution to see if that helps. Can you show what is being sent to the printhead? This allows me to see if the right data was at least sent.
Hey Dragon, can you send me the C8855 doc as well? Please pm so I can tell which email to send if you don’t mind. I’ve been working on Xaar printer for 2 years now and it’s almost complete. However HP is drawing me more and more after 2 years of work gone into Xaar 😳... If there’s a specific circuit that you are having a problem with I could take a look as well
rofl

Post by rofl »

BlueTurtle wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:29 pm
dragonator wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:46 pm I have put the UDN2987 on my list of considerations. It has a latch, can handle the voltages and does seem to be (barely) fast enough. The discontinued status and max 1000ns response time do worry me a bit though. Once I am certain that the TLC59213 is indeed the bottleneck I will see if this chip is indeed a working solution.

@rofl
Hey Dragon, can you send me the C8855 doc as well? Please pm so I can tell which email to send if you don’t mind. I’ve been working on Xaar printer for 2 years now and it’s almost complete. However HP is drawing me more and more after 2 years of work gone into Xaar 😳... If there’s a specific circuit that you are having a problem with I could take a look as well
Hey. Why Xaar does not make you happy? Could you share your experience? I mean, are you struggling to make it running at all, or some sort of performance disappoints you?
BlueTurtle

Post by BlueTurtle »

rofl wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:52 am
BlueTurtle wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:29 pm

@rofl
Hey. Why Xaar does not make you happy? Could you share your experience? I mean, are you struggling to make it running at all, or some sort of performance disappoints you?
It really depends on what you’re trying to make. The continuous printing aspect of Xaar is perfect but I’m trying to make a device that is easy to use and easy to maintain. Xaar requires much more maintenance and sub assemblies to work reliably.
exalted coding

Post by exalted coding »

davidk wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:50 am The code is C, ATMega64.
Regarding address select, I voted for direct demultiplexing, not UP/Down counter. That's because I thought this is more straightforward and, in the future, I could decide the address order for myself.

You're right about the pin count and the availability. Still, you can reduce pin count at about 10 pins, but you won't have auto-check and/or temperature sensing.

Regarding 3V3 comnpatibility, I suspect all pins would be OK except SDI/SDC because of the high frequency used.

Mahsa, I read the bitmap as a hex file, parse the resolution from the header (X and Y) then I calculate which bytes should build the swath.
I don't use the even nozzles because I can't sync them yet. After building XY carriage, I'll see...
i have been working on st L6452, however, I need some your guidance regarding its working. can you guide me more.
jacky

Post by jacky »

Hello, I would like to try the Driver Board V3.02. I have a Teensy 4.0 at hand. Since Teensy 4.0 is not 5V tolerant as Teensy 3.2, do I need to add level shifter somewhere in V3.02? Thank you!
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Hello and welcome Jacky,

The V3.02 board needs a Teensy 3.2. A 4.0 will not work for several reasons. The non tolerance to 5V is the smallest of the issues. The extra pins of the 4.0 are broken out wrong to be used on V3.02 controller and the controller uses functions (specific DMA pins) that are not present on the teensy 4.0.

The short conclusion is that only a Teensy 3.2 will work on the V3.02 controller.