Hacking the Xaar 128 printhead

Powder and inkjet printing
notsure

Re: Hacking the Xaar 128 printhead

Post by notsure »

For most piezo heads keep the viscosity around 10 cPs at the jetting temp for the fluids and inks. It varies a bit from model to model but it's a good ballpark to be in. Watch the drops and then tweak based on results. Any particles should be <1um as good rule. Most heads have some sort of filter in the 1-20um range. And you want the particles to be 5-10x smaller than the filter pores.
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1ee2/d ... a98cf9.pdf
Welcome to Costco. I love you.

BlueTurtle

Post by BlueTurtle »

evomotors wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:58 pm
BlueTurtle wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:11 pm
evomotors wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:18 pm

Do you have a video of this board in action? Or do you want someone to pay for cat in a bag?

Please make a video and we’ll talk.
On it.
Any progress on the video?
Hey Evo! Well I went back to school (CS Masters) and life has happened and I had to stop the Xaar project. I’ll attempt to do a video but I’m having a major problem with ink delivery. Does anyone know how davidk or anyone as a matter of fact handle the ink delivery system? My printhead always seems to be either bleeding ink or not taking enough ink. Electrical wise I’m golden but for the life of me can’t figure out the ink issue :( . Please keep in mind that I got an UV ink from Kao Collins for Xaar 128 specifically so there shouldn’t be any ink compatibility problem.

davidk

Post by davidk »

I made a capping system with a silicone gaslet for the head and a peristaltic pump to suck the ink when cleaning. This way, whem the pump is stopped, the capping is sealed so ink can't drain. On the ink supply side I used a DX4 Epson damper which can provide the required vacuum. On top of this (300mm over head nozzles) is the ink reservoir. The vacuum is made by the damper. Please look at my previous pictures to see what I'm talking about.

notsure

Post by notsure »

@ BlueTurtle
You want the ink at a slight negative pressure entering the heads. -100 to -800 Pascal.
Welcome to Costco. I love you.