Standalone controller V4.0

Powder and inkjet printing
dragonator
Site Admin

Re: Standalone controller V4.0

Post by dragonator »

There is a simple voltage divider driven by 3,3V. Any value which does not compute to a reasonable value is returned as a negative value indicating what is wrong. A -2 is the most common value and usually indicates no printhead is present.
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

The first example is now live. I have turned it into a bit of a project on it's own, an SMD tape printer.

https://ytec3d.com/hp45-example-smd-tape-printer/

If there is any feedback on information missing or things that are unclear let me know so I can update the page.
mtok_wwa

Post by mtok_wwa »

Hey @dragonator
First of all- big big thank you for work you put into this project. It's rare to see people out in Internet so eager to share knowledge as you are. Also- form of it- with all drawings, step-by-step instructions is impressive. So again- big kudos!
Using your insights I was able to assemble very minimal version of printhead driver with Arduino Nano, 2x dsicrete high side load switches and boost converter module. It drives single nozzle fine.
Few observations from my side:
- I needed to adjust voltage on regulator to around 16V- using 12 V gave me nothing. It may be issue related to output resistance of my high-side switch which might limit the current. Now I want to switch to integrated driver like TD62783APG (UDN2981 replacement mentioned in this thread). So it may resolve this issue and I will be using "regular" 12V source.
- timings I use are also different than you adviced - I use 5us delay between opening address and primitive, primitive is opened by 2us like you posted.

I have few questions though:
- is there any mandatory delay between fireing same nozzle in order to avoid frying it? I use 200-1000us delay between using same nozzle again but I am not sure how it impacts printhead in a long run. (I am asking since for example for hpc6602 there is minimal delay of 800us adviced by some sources )
- are you able to share drawing of printhead connector? Now I just simply soldered small wires to contact on printhead but I wanted to use pogopins as in your design. Problem I have are dimmensions of pads and its aligment. So far using microscope I was able to measure single pad - W: 1.4mm, H: 1.3 and spacing 0.6 mm horizontal, 0.4mm vertical- but I doubt it's accurate.

Thanks, Maciek
mtok_wwa

Post by mtok_wwa »

Sorry for my ignorance, all info is already on this forum :D

Thanks again, cheers, Maciek
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Hello,

It is not a sin to ask the question here. There is a quite a bit of information spread over a lot pages, so it is a bit difficult to find specific details.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.
jhauxwell

Post by jhauxwell »

Hi,
I've been looking at the SMD Tape Printer project and would really like to build one... is it possible to buy the assembled PCB?

Cheers,
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

If you are interested I have assembled and tested HP45 controllers available in small numbers. With carrier they are in the €250 range, without the carrier in the €220 range. Contact me through the contact form if you are interested so we can discuss further. (https://ytec3d.com/contact-me/)
rofl

Post by rofl »

dragonator,

I have been recently using V4.0 controller with inkjet commander slightly. Since you said that V4.0 software cannot print yet (with encoder tape), I decided to make one and use it as a testing jig for HP45 binders (basically to test if nozzles spray binder). That jig consists of RPI3 + V4 controller.

However, recently, I made some binders and on V4.0 controller with inkjet commander and RPI3, HP45 head sprays ink normally and all seems to be good, but when I immediately put it into V3 controller (with another RPI3), it simply does not spray or does one partial spray and no further jets are made, when "prime" is clicked. That V3 controller should work fine as I printed with it before. Also, I tested regular original black HP45 on both controllers and both of them work with black original head (original ink). But when I switch to my own binder, V4 seems to work fine, but V3 even after immediate change from V4 does not work... Do you have any ideas? Or perhaps you already have V4 software that is able to print?

The only last resort for testing I can think of is taking my V4 jig and connecting it directly to my printer instead (taking my current V3 out).

My printer is with RPI3 + V3 controller.
My jig consists of RPI3 (cloned mem card of printer RPI3) + V4 controller.

Thanks.
dragonator
Site Admin

Post by dragonator »

Have you ever had the V3 working? or is this one still unused as a unit? What software are you using to drive the controllers?

The V3 needs to have a jumper connected to connect the 12V to the VHD. The V4 has this one connected by default. The prime function should work on both units, so this is a decent test. Also the Test printhead should return more than 0/300 on both heads.
rofl

Post by rofl »

V3 controller works fine, I have printed with it before and it does prime well with black ink already. I have been using it multiple times.

I made V4 controller as a helping jig to test binders and this time, binder sprays with V4 controller, but does not spray with V3. V3 controller is the last version of V3, that one which was updated.

Test returns 300/300. I do this all the time. To remove some unknown variables, I always keep one brand new HP45 with original black ink for testing. In case something fails, I test black head to see if material is failing or hardware.

One point to notice is that power supply for V4 produces around 12.3V, whereas on V3 shows around 11.6V. I do not know if that can be an issue.

Thanks